6 September 2006

Fingerboarding - more detail

Following my post below about fingerboarding, Seb asked about finding ways of manipulating the difficulty of the hang when fingerboarding. Often you need to really fine tune the amount of weight or support you have to add to your body weight so that you can just hang on for 5-8 seconds with extreme difficulty.

This takes a bit of imagination and using whats available to you. Seb commented that for him, hanging from one hand was too hard but any support he uses makes it too easy. I have the same problem myself, being able to one arm from an openhanded grip but not quite hang one handed from a crimped grip. I only need a couple of kgs support from my other hand to achieve the correct weight/intensity. The photo above shows how i do it! When hanging from my other arm I do the same using the light switch! If I'm feeling a little weaker or its a bit warmer I'll use a stronger finger, or more than one.

3 comments:

Adski said...

Ah, the secrets of the stars are coming out now! :-)

Anonymous said...

Do you constantly aim for maximum hangs of 5-8 secs or do you have phases in your training where you aim for longer e.g. 12-15 secs at lower intensity to build up some muscle volume (surely no weight issue in the forearms?) and to prepare for more intense phases?

Anonymous said...

hey,

only read this recently although it's an old article but is it dangerous to do one armed deadhangs on a straight arm or would you prefer locking with some help as described? locking is much more difficult to me/can't hold it for that long and i don't really want to train my biceps but straigth arms might cause elbow problems. a bit of dillema...